> To concur with Thierry, the float on #mainContent appears unnecessary
> on this page. Give it a margin, or padding, to push the content off
> the left bar and you should be good to go.

These two containers are siblings, so if the OP uses padding or margin to
"push the content off the left bar" he will not be able to clear (left)
floats in the main section without clearing the sidebar at the same time.
This is why I suggested to use overflow/zoom to create a new block
formatting context.

This article may help understand the issue:
http://tjkdesign.com/articles/clearing-floats_and_block-formatting_context.a
sp

--
Regards,