Hmm.

I hadn't considered the wording of the actual question to be so important.
But I can sure see your point.

The full questions in the form is "Do you require an interpreter?"
This is followed by: "If so, what language?"

I am porting a paper based for onto the web, and the paper based version has
explicit check boxes for "yes" and "no". But it occurred to me that on the
web, I could reduce the two check boxes down to one. "Tick the box if you
require an interpreter." Then dynamically insert the "what language"
question if they answer yes. (Yes, an obvious problem with all this is that
the form is all written in English. I guess the client is assuming an
English speaker is helping the Non-English speaker with the form).

I often look for the simplest way to represent thing, an in this case, a
single check box can easily represent both the "yes" and "no" states
(checked or not checked). But is this the best UX? Are people more
comfortable with explicit yes/no choices? Even when it might be more verbose
than absolutely necessary?

Lucien.