Agreed it does depend entirely on the situation and users.  By universally
implemented I wasn't being flippant, I meant to be saying that things have
moved on, just the modified model of radio set use doesn't work everywhere.
For some reason undefined/unset radio button sets get overlooked by users
trying to complete a form fast than some other methods.  Personally I try to
reword/remodel to avoid uses of yes/no answers.  If unsure run some user
audience testing.  If they hesitate longer at a yes/no then perhaps that is
confusing for them.