Thanks to nedlud and Chris too.
Just to be clear, and to save others who might be offering editing
suggestions ..

I did just want to know if it's still necessary to do the encoding, I
don't require help with the conversion, I have that under control. And
it's not necessary anyway. The task is to insert 100s of instances of
the (almost) same URL which contains ampersands; just one part of the
URL needs to be different for each item it "belongs" to, so it's not a
simple find/replace job.

cheers,

dan.