Hi Grant,

You're meaning the sort of tree-menu arrangements that have a little plus
next to items with children, and clicking the plus makes the children appear
and push the other elements further down, right?

I don't believe what you're looking for is possible, as that sort of
hierarchical menu requires changes that "stick" rather than just activating
on hover. CSS just isn't designed to do that sort of thing.

Then again, JavaScript doesn't automatically mean inaccessible. What
concerns in particular did you have about JS making the menu inaccessible?

Cheers,

Seona.