If you use XHTML doctype, you can add CDATA comment, this will prevent possible
validation errors.

Example:
<script type="text/javascript">
         /* <![CDATA[ */
                         jQuery(document).ready(function(){
        jQuery("ul.sf-menu").superfish();
    });
/* ]]> */
        </script>

I mostly work on Magento projects these days that use inline script heavily,
experience show that lack of CDATA comment doesn't always trigger validation
error.

tee