Has anyone on the list considered using keywords?

Set body tag to either 100.1% in IE, while pixels are fine in non-IE browsers:

  body { font: 16px/1.4em verdana, helvetica, sans-serif; }
  * html body { font: 100.1%/1.4em verdana, helvetica, sans-serif; }

Though recently I've been using line-heights without the unit type with good
success.

There on in use keywords:
   x-small - disclaimer and legal footers
   small - body text