On 7/22/10 7:13 AM, tee wrote:

On Jul 21, 2010, at 7:43 AM, David Hucklesby wrote:

With all due respect, I suggest you are attempting to control the
uncontrollable far too finely. 0.9em is either one or two pixels
smaller than default, depending on the rounding applied by the
browser. In other words, you are already getting as much difference
between browsers as you are trying to apply.

This does not eliminate the inheritance issue I raised. Even if I use
15em in my example for span class, the problem still exist.

I am not advocating not to use EM, and I am not  advocating using
Pixel only. I use EM 90% of the time, 10% of the time Pixel could be
a far better approach for font size. Anybody who advocating the use
of EM only and preach other do so (especially to those who are new to
Pixel Vs EM or new to web design in general), IMO, should make people
aware there are exception to the rule, that in some situations, EM
may not be a better choice due to inheritance, and in some special
case when consistency cannot be compromised  (this is very common if
the design is done by a pixel-obsessed designer).

I think you may have missed my point. I do agree that it's silly to
suggest that one technique or another is universally the best. I am
trained as an engineer, and believe that design--even of a website--is a
matter of compromise. So your point about pixels versus points versus
ems etc. is well taken.

The case I tried to make is that I see no reason to have more than a
couple or three font sizes on any one page. For me, a page full of text
of varying sizes is distracting and difficult to interpret. I would also
have the same reaction to a printed page full of varied type size.

But I do sympathize with your situation, having to deal with lousy
markup you have no control over. To my engineering brain, the markup is
the structure upon which page is built. If the structure is faulty, no
amount of paper and paint over the top will create a sound result.

Good luck with your struggles.

Cordially,
David