On Thu, 19 Aug 2010, Ben Davies wrote:

I prefer liquid layouts, but I use a max-width property to control how wide
my content is allowed to get.

   That's what I do, too.

On Thu, Aug 19, 2010 at 11:14 AM, Lyn Smith <l...@westernwebdesign.com.au>wrote:

 Good morning

Was wondering what the latest opinions are on using  fixed width or liquid
design in light of the ever increasing size of  monitor screens.

Having just got a new computer with a 24" screen, I was not happy with the
look of some of my liquid design sites.  While they are OK in screen
resolutions up to 1280,  above that, they seem too stretched out. One in
particular had a couple of lines of text which  went from one side of the
screen to the other - not a good look.

It seems to me, going by the sites I  have frequented of late, that  many
seem to favour fixed width of   900-1000px which requires scrolling for
800x600 resolutions  but don't look too bad whatever the higher  size of
screen and resolution.

--
Lyn Smith

www.westernwebdesign.com.au