Sometimes next week I maybe able to setup a test site with pages that show
different doctypes and widths.

Just a quick question, shouldn't Opera Mini obeys the rules even when a desktop
doctype is used?

@media screen and (max-device-width: 480px)
user-scalable=0;" name="viewport" />

Without them, I would take what I saw isn't a bug. I am pretty sure it's more a
HTML5 doctype issue than desktop doctype because when this site was created, I
adapted a base template that uses XHTML 1.0 strict, in the first round mobile
browser check I didn't change it to XHTML Basic 1.1, and I didn't see the
horizontal scrolling bar (will remember to add it to my test). Since that this
browser is intended for mobile devices,  your reasoning is sound, but I guess
developers won't be accepting it if we specifically tell the browser to follow
the above rules.

Make me think maybe I should wait till 2022 to start using HTML5!

tee