From: li...@webstandardsgroup.org [mailto:li...@webstandardsgroup.org] On
Behalf Of David Storey
Sent: Monday, October 04, 2010 8:51 AM
To: wsg@webstandardsgroup.org
Subject: Re: [WSG] Mobile Phone Emulators

On 3 Oct 2010, at 06:02, Cole Kuryakin wrote:

> Hello All -
>
> I've been tasked with setting up a few form pages to be viewed on
> mobile phone devices.
>
> Currently I'm using Adobe's Device Central - which is okay but it
> really doesn't show how the forms (particulary select lists) will be
> shown on various mobile devices.
>
> I've also tried the online Opera emulator which seems to work pretty
> well

This emulates Opera Mini. You can get a downloadable Opera Mobile emulator
at http://www.opera.com/developer/tools/ . It isn't strictly an emulator. It
is the actual browser ported to Windows/Mac/Linux, but it is easier to name
it that way.

> ,
> but what about Nokia, Motorola, Samsung, Apple, etc., etc.
>
> I've read on-line that for Nokia and Apple you've really gotta
> download their SDK in order to accuratly test webpages - true?

It comes as part of the SDK package for iPhone at least. An emulator also
comes as part of the Palm (It is a copy of the OS that you have to run
through a virtual machine like VirtualBox) SDK, and the Android SDK.

> Would greatly appreciate any advice from those of this group who
> develop mobile viewable pages (particulary forms) on where to test
> your efforts for the best compliant and visual result across the
> largest number of mobile devices possible.
>
> Cole

David Storey

Chief Web Opener / Product Manager, Opera Dragonfly W3C WG:  Mobile Web Best
Practices / SVG Interest Group

Opera Software ASA, Oslo, Norway
Mobile: +47 94 22 02 32 / E-Mail/XMPP: dsto...@opera.com / Twitter:
dstorey