>From there you have two courses of action depending on the structure of the
>document:
i) If the document can be logically broken into smaller chunks, such as
chapters, an executive summary and a table of contents might work,

ii) If there are no logical breaks, keep the single, long screen and offer a
hard copy format - either a print css (so you're only maintaining one set of
information), or an alternative file format such as Type A pdf or rtf. Whilst
not environmentally friendly, it offers an alternative to people who may find
long on-screen articles difficult to absorb.

Hope that gives you some ideas to think about.

Kind Regards,

Peter Hislop

-----Original Message-----
From: li...@webstandardsgroup.org [mailto:li...@webstandardsgroup.org] On
Behalf Of Al Sparber
Sent: Sunday, 17 October 2010 12:49 PM
To: wsg@webstandardsgroup.org
Subject: Re: [WSG] Long documents

> On 10/16/10 6:19 PM, grant_malcolm_bai...@westnet.com.au wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Is there any standard (official or otherwise) that limits the length
>> of single web pages?
>>
>> I edit an online journal which contains articles of up to 7000 words.
>> Currently each article resides on a single web page which the viewer
>> must scroll to read. Some of the articles are 10-20 'screens' in length.
>>
>> If anyone could clarify whether there is a standard and, if so, how
>> such documents should be presented, I would be grateful. If you want
>> to look at the journal I'm talking about see www.baileyandireland.com.

I wouldn't change a thing. You could split the articles into x-number of pages
with page links at the bottom, but text loads very
quickly and unless you limit a page to a single paragraph or two, people are
invariably going to need to scroll so you may as well
have the entire article on the page. Makes printing easy, too.

--
Al Sparber - PVII
http://www.projectseven.com