I agree thoroughly, Hassan. Yet as this is a best-practices discussion and group, and since we've been hearing that these things A) don't always work and B) aren't always well-received by end users, we're left with a need.

And that need is to know: out of the universe of what we can do, what ought we do to ensure as universal an experience as possible?

cs

On Oct 20, 2010, at 11:26 AM, Hassan Schroeder wrote:

But it's not that cut and dried -- CSS has always had behaviors,
e.g. :hover, :focus, as well.

so maybe these rollovers, when they do ANYTHING besides indicate a
> clickable thing, are passe, amateurish techniques ...

Now we're all over it..we've seen it, and we are back to function,
> information, usability, speed...

And maybe providing expanded affordances through hover behaviors is
totally appropriate in some circumstances, to deliver exactly those
benefits.  :-)