Disabled people should to be able to use websites. Replacing XHTML with
JavaScript can cause accessibility issues.

Accessibility is the research and practice of making websites usable to as
diverse a user base as possible, including people with hearing, visual and
mobility disabilities, by removing obstacles and offering alternatives.
(Loranger Nielsen 2006)

WAI (Web Accessibility Initiative) develops accessibility guidelines, which are
generally internationally accepted.  Online tools for testing website
accessibility are available from them.  (W3C, 2009)

WAI also suggests manual testing to assess accessibility using text-based
browsers, such as Lynx. Lynx emulates the environment of screen readers, used
by sight-disabled users. Testing the slideshow like this would tell us how
accessible it is. Also, feedback from involving disabled testers could help.

Developers can access accessibility during testing by turning CSS and
JavaScript off in their browsers to determine what alternatives are available.
This could guide us to "adding to" hyperlink navigation with a dynamic menu,
rather than replacing it.

Additionally, we could also ask the RNIB to do an accessibility assessment for
us. A Royal National Institute of Blind People "See it Right" audit would use
human auditors to help us. (RNIB, 2009)

Nearly any code can be implemented within the law. We can ensure alternatives
are available for all disabled people. Why and to what level we should do this
can be seen from different perspectives.

Firstly, the Disability Discrimination Act (1995) is British law. Web-designers
have a duty to advise owners of any website they work on to make "reasonable
efforts" to provide services, of the same standard for the disabled, as you
provide for the public. Secondly, it makes business sense. 10% of internet
users have a disability. If you have a shop and your door only opens for 9 in
10 of your customers you effectively have closed shop to 1 in 10.

However, making your site accessible will cost designers time and thus the
clients money. There are few presidents in British legal history of websites
being taken to court and charged under the DDA (2005). So "reasonable efforts",
whatever that means, may suffice. Additionally, if your website is
in-accessible does that really mean 10% of people can't use it? There are no
concrete figures relating to internet users who require fully accessible
websites. So, we could wait until the site is more popular to make it
financially viable.

Kevin Ireson

MD Hotels in London Ltd http://www.hotels-london-hotel.com

Hotels in Edinburgh Ltd http://www.hotels-edinburgh-scotland-hotels.com