From: li...@webstandardsgroup.org [mailto:li...@webstandardsgroup.org] On
Behalf Of Chris Vickery
Sent: Monday, 12 September 2011 4:28 PM
To: wsg@webstandardsgroup.org
Subject: RE: [WSG] flat form with check boxes [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Thanks Darren,
In our case, it’s a requirement that we use HTML, not PDF or word. Graphical
elements are an option and it’s how they’re done at the moment, but I would
have thought a Jaws user would find that quite confusing. I would think a
checkbox symbol would be better practice because there’s no confusion for any
level of user if there’s some interaction required ☐ but I might be wrong
(and you’ve got to check cross browser compatibility).

I like Joseph’s idea that you could fill out the checkboxes and print rather
than submit. It’s a simple eloquent solution and I think a lot of users would
get value from checking some boxes that they know they’re compliant with off
the top of their head, then manually go through the rest with pen and paper
later. I’m not sure if we’ll be allowed to do that though.

The point of the page is that it’s a checklist that people can run through to
see how their business complies with a general set of rules. The page wasn’t
really designed by a web person so it’s a bit unclear what the intention is,
for people to read the form as general advice or actually check off each point.
We don’t have the option of changing the text or going back for clarification.

The way it’s written means to me, it makes more sense as a check box list but
not really as an <ol> or <ul> unfortunately.

There’s a couple of options that would probably pass the bar to varying
degrees, but is what is the best practice?

Thanks everyone for the input so far.