There is a tool called IE tester, which might be what you're looking
for: http://www.my-debugbar.com/wiki/IETester/HomePage

That said, we generally use the browser mode settings for testing here
(on the development side at least), and don't have any problems.

From: li...@webstandardsgroup.org [mailto:li...@webstandardsgroup.org]
On Behalf Of Janice Schwarz
Sent: 23 September 2011 15:59
To: wsg@webstandardsgroup.org
Subject: Re: [WSG] IE9's Browser Mode Controls - Reliable?

On Fri, Sep 23, 2011 at 6:41 AM, Cole Kuryakin <c...@koisis.com> wrote:

Hello All -

I've been testing a new version of a legacy project against IE 7, 8 and
9
using IE9's Browser Mode Controls.

This way of switching browser modes (between 7, 8 and 9) is quite
convenient
but... is it a true representation of how the project will render in
these
three browsers?

If not, I'd love to get some suggestions on the LEAST INVASIVE way to
test
different "modern" flavors of IE.

Use to do the VM routine before my C drive crashed and had to re-do all
my
software. Now that all my apps are cleanly installed and working
perfectly,
I'd rather not have to add software that I only use on occasion.

Any guidance greatly appreciated.

I've been using those browser mode settings in IE for a while, even in a
corporate setting. They seem to be fairly accurate.

I think that, generally speaking, it is better than using browsershots
or browsercam, since those just give screenshots and can't test
functionality. I use those for testing things I don't have access to
(like Mac-specific or IE6 specific issues...even then, those are only so
helpful and only address layout issues, not functionality).

--

Janice Schwarz
GeekArtist Web Solutions, LLC

Phone: (214) 731-4733

Twitter: GeekArtist <http://twitter.com/geekartist>

Facebook <http://www.facebook.com/GeekArtist>

This message has been scanned by MailController
<http://portal2.mailcontroller.co.uk/> .

This message has been scanned by MailController - portal2.mailcontroller.co.uk