From: li...@webstandardsgroup.org [mailto:li...@webstandardsgroup.org] On
Behalf Of Chad Kelly
Sent: Monday, 10 October 2011 3:05 PM
To: wsg@webstandardsgroup.org
Subject: Re: [WSG] jQuery accessibility

On 10/10/2011 2:02 PM, Grant Bailey wrote:
Hello everyone,

Could someone please clarify whether a site built with jQuery is consistent
with web standards and accessibility, assuming that the jQuery components: (i)
degrade gracefully; and (ii) are not necessary for essential functions (such as
navigation).

I would be grateful for responses as I am confused about screen reading
software: I thought these ignored Javascript but apparently, some are
Javascript-capable. Moreover, as Filament Group point out (in this
article<http://filamentgroup.com/lab/expand_and_collapse_content_accessibly_with_progressive_enhancement_jquery/>
 about collapsible panels), many blind users expect a fully-functioning website.

Is accessibility normally built in to jQuery or must we add it ourselves (as
Filament Group did)?

I would be grateful for any responses.
Hi Grant.
Generally no you need to add the extra functionality to make the website
accessible as Jquery takes the     focus from the main content of the website
and hides it so the Jquery content is in focus, so you need to make sure all
your on focus content has keyboard functions built into it.

The information contained in this email and any attachment is confidential and
may contain legally privileged or copyright material.   It is intended only for
the use of the addressee(s).  If you are not the intended recipient of this
email, you are not permitted to disseminate, distribute or copy this email or
any attachments.  If you have received this message in error, please notify the
sender immediately and delete this email from your system.  The ABC does not
represent or warrant that this transmission is secure or virus free.   Before
opening any attachment you should check for viruses.  The ABC's liability is
limited to resupplying any email and attachments.