On Oct 14, 2011, at 2:42 PM, Lapcewich, Dennis wrote:

> Thanks to all who responded, and confirmed my initial view.
>
> My reason for asking the obvious is that within a government agency, we seem
> to have an excess of pickers of nits (often outside of the actual expertise)
> who just won’t take no for an answer.  The views offered here gave me several
> different ways to say the same thing.  On top of this, we are using an
> archaic CMS system (directed to use by those above us) that does not lend
> itself well to best practices.   I really did need those 1,000 different
> methods to change the light bulb because of the low wattage dim wits that
> often try to brighten my day with their bug light prowess (BrrrrZapppp!).  J
>
> Thanks all!
>
> Dennis
>
> Dennis Lapcewich
> US Forest Service Webmaster

You do have one thing going for you and that is accessibility. If the CMS you
are required to use does not permit "best" practices re accessibility, then
push that button. Those above you will most certainly not want to be labeled as
being insensitive to the disabled, right?

Government web sites should led the way in accessibility compliance, but
unfortunately they don't. If you think the US Forest Service has problems with
their web sites, take a look at the VA websites.

Cheers,

tedd

t...@sperling.com
http://sperling.com