Tabular data should be marked up as actual tables. Anything else is a
perversion of standards. Screenreaders, to take the technical extreme of the
spectrum, have special controls and functionalities for users to navigate
tables (moving between rows/columns directly, getting info on associated
headers, getting a count of rows/cells and where the current focus is) that are
impossible to replicate with anything other than table markup. So, as much as I
sympathise with the developers' "it's easier" take, it won't cut it I'm afraid.

Patrick H. Lauke