On 20 December 2011 13:09, Alex Mironov
<alexmiro...@graphicdesignservices.ato.gov.au> wrote:
[snip]
> I was wondering if anyone had any views/resources as to whether users should
> remain in the same window or should be taken to a new window/tab when they
> click on an external link?

Short answer: don't open new windows/tabs (unless you have a really
good reason).

Reason 1: it's da law! (if you're subject to WCAG 2.0 accessibility
requirements, e.g. Australian Govt) ... e.g.
http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG20-TECHS/G200 (well, ok, not strictly da law,
but clearly bad practice for many accessibility use cases and likely
to fail accessibility audits.)

Reason 2: opening new windows/tabs by default basically says "welcome
to 1999!"  If you're fine with that, go right ahead ;)