I'd argue that headings after the content they 'head' fails the "how
it will appear without style sheets" test.

If styling's an issue, dig into your CSS selector toolbox for things
like adjacent selectors (depending on browser support requirements)
or, failing that, give it a 'listhead' class and style that directly –
boring, I know!

>From a purely pragmatic standpoint you could probably cheat and stick
the heading inside a ul/ol but expect issues in various IEs, where
even white space in lists can cause problems. Better off going the
adjacent selector route, methinks.

Josh Street
+61 (0) 425 808 469