I have a very simple html5 contact form which I'd like to keep that way. However, the 'pattern' attribute isn't recognised by IE and I feel that it surely must be possible to just use a bit of modernizr to make it work. Example is:

<label for="email" accesskey="E">Email</label>
<input name="email" id="email" placeholder="Enter your Email Address" pattern="^[A-Za-z0-9](([_\.\-]?[a-zA-Z0-9]+)*)@([A-Za-z0-9]+)(([\.\-]?[a-zA-Z0-9]+)*)\.([A-Za-z]{2,})$" required type="email">

I'm not a javascript person and I wonder if it is possible to just use a bit of extracted code from jquery/modernizr without having to link to the whole script, much of which is surplus code - i.e., just put a small amount of script right in the page.

Sorry if I haven't expressed this very well.

??

Thanks

Bob