On 17/04/2014 17:06, KI7MT wrote:
> Hi Bill,
Hi Greg,

> So for now, we still step need to use the two step process, git
> checkout, then up with your integration changes, then build it yes?
It is up to you to a certain extent. Although you are describing a
process which is an initial step.

> How do see this changing in the future?
That depends on future events. Things that could happen in my best guess
at likeliness:

1) Another defect or shortcoming in Hamlib comes to light that I can
address,
2) some other important changes that effect us get submitted to Hamlib,
3) no further changes occur to Hamlib before we make a release,
4) a release of Hamlib-3 is cut before we make our next release.

For (1) your best option is to keep you git repo linked to my public git
repo, that way you can simply 'git pull' and 'make && make install' to
freshen your Hamlib binaries.

For (2) the above also applies, since I pull any changes from the Hamlib
master branch and merge them into my integration branch too. But you
could choose to switch your repo have the Hamlib master branch as its
remote 'origin' (normally you would attach  an extra remote repo
probably called 'upstream' to do that, then you could 'git pull
upstream' to synchronize with that).

For (3) both of the above are fine or you could download a source
snapshot from the Hamlib official repo master branch (they are available
on the Hamlib SF web site). This would also work for (2) as well but is
more work than the above two options.

For (4) you could pull a binary release (for Windows) from the Hamlib
official site.

I expect that you are looking at this from the perspective of a person
that wants to join the dev team or simply build WSJT-X from scratch for
the first time. In that case, at the moment, all the options will get
the same result. TBH the bulk of the Hamlib related part of the build is
gathering the prerequisites and on Windows getting a build environment
prepared, acquiring the sources is the easiest part whichever route is
chosen and the build process is identical with all unless an official
binary package becomes available.