Joe,
> On Jul 3, 2015, at 10:43 AM, Joe Taylor <j...@princeton.edu> wrote:
>
> Hi Steve,
>
>> Hmmm. That’s interesting and surprising. I tested it separately on 40m and
>> 20m files and saw 35% and 17% reduction in execution time, respectively. So
>> when I got 25% reduction for the large batch containing files from all
>> bands, I was convinced that I had a robust result.
>>
>> I wonder if this uncovers a difference between compiler optimizations on the
>> Mac and Windows.
>
> Not likely, I think.  Maybe it's a difference between our sets of
> example files?  Or maybe I've made a mistake with my test.

I’m collecting a new batch of files. In the meantime, I wonder if you happened
to save the wspr_timer files. It should be instructive to compare them. I have
a hunch that the fact that I am running on a laptop with a solid-state disk
drive can explain part of the difference. If you are running with a spinning
disk, maybe the readwavfile times are vastly different and are swamping the
other improvements?

I’ll include my times, below. Note that wsprd_exp spends 1/4 as much time in
sync_and_demod(0)! I deliberately used some of this savings to increase the
time spent in the decoder (by removing quickmode on the second pass). Note that
these results are for 214 20m files, so the average time per file is almost
exactly 1 second for wsprd_exp.

wsprd:

Code segment        Seconds   Frac
-----------------------------------