Hi all,

I have been helping out Jim W6JHB build a Linux version of WSJT-X with
support for the custom USB Hamlib devices. This is because he has an
OmniaSDR device which is a reincarnation of the AE9RB Peaberry v2 SDR.
This device is controlled by a few custom USB commands including setting
and reading the frequency and it also appears as a CODECs for input and
output which is I/Q format data delivered/consumed as stereo audio streams.

WSJT-X does not provide I/Q support via audio streams or otherwise but
Jim has discovered that he can make QSOs by connecting the I/Q CODEC
directly to WSJT-X. This surprised me so I asked for a sample saved .WAV
file and it certainly decodes although the "audio" level is very low. Am
I right in assuming that transmitting using the input CODEC is not going
to produce a faithful signal given that the SDR hardware is expecting
I/Q data rather than PCM audio?

I know that others have had success using the QUISK (or HDSDR on
Windows) SDR software as an intermediary for both rig control and base
band PCM audio suitable for connection to WSJT-X. Should Jim be doing
the same?