Hi Bill,

Yes, I wouldn't recommend that method for general use.
update-alternatives is used allot with things like GCC tool chain
testing, JRE environments etc.

I'll probably just install another Ubuntu image (16.04), as that's
easier (and safer), but there are issues for me elsewhere (non-JT
related) on 16.04 that has kept me moving to 16.04 completely.

73's
Greg, KI7MT