Hi Andy,

comments in line below.

On 02/01/2017 17:22, ANDY DURBIN wrote:

There was always a Halt TX button but, with the r3673 functionality of Enable TX, I don't think it was needed. Removing it would not be reversion.

The internal implementation is an auto transmit enable, having it also halt transmit immediately has to be an add on to that. Having a halt tx immediately avoids overloading the function of the buttons, that is a good thing because it allows different operators to use the interface as they wish. You are trying to force your view of usage which seems unreasonable given there is a valid alternative. Client "Halt Tx" if you want immediate stop and click "Enable Tx" if you wish to complete the message that is currently running.

The first step would be to understand why the change from "TX Enable" to "Next Enable" was made. I see no advantage but I only use JT9 and JT65 on HF and 6m. I assume there was some advantage in other operating environments.

No such change has happened. What has happened is that the overloaded feature of having "Enable Tx" turn off auto transmission *and* having "Enable Tx" stop immediately has been simplified - without any loss of functionality *because the "Halt Tx" button already does the latter"*.

If the arguments for the change are still valid then, obviously, it won't be changed back to the simple TX Enable that it used to be in r3673 and earlier. If that is the case then I hope the description inconsistencies that I listed earlier will be addressed.

The arguments were for simplification without loss of functionality. Joe has already cited the documentation that clearly states the current functionality is for "Enable Tx" OFF only disables auto transmit, it does not discard the current message if transmission has started, "Halt Tx" does that.

Moving to brainstorming mode - The color red seems inappropriate for the indicator for either functionality. If tri-state is an option I'd suggest no fill for no TX possible (no change), Green for auto enable - this message and the next one will be sent, and Amber for this message is the last one that will be sent. Colors would change at the end of the TX period or when this button or Halt TX was pressed.

Statefull push buttons are generally considered as bad design, the other button types like radio buttons and check boxes are designed for exactly that purpose. Having said that most UI widget tool kits offer checkable push buttons and they can be useful where they are used a lot and a check box might be considered too small for quick operation. The overriding design criteria should reflect the chosen button semantics and in that respect we have it wrong as push button controls are meant to mimic momentary push buttons that immediately start something. Going to tri-state semantics is moving way too far from that behaviour IMHO.