On 29/09/17 20:10, Bill Somerville wrote:

> I am failing to see why most of the existing automatic behaviour when
> double-clicking decodes has to be given up just for a number of
> operators who think that by default one's Tx offset should not be moved
> when replying to a CQ or QRZ call. To be clear, I agree that a simple
> means of calling a station without moving one's Tx frequency to them is
> necessary and there have been enough requests for a less onerous
> mechanism than having to ALT+double-click CQ calls to justify a
> different mechanism. As far as I can see the simple addition of a "Lock
> Tx Freq" check box on the main window achieves the necessary behaviour
> for those in the camp that wish to stay on a single frequency and not
> checking it should suit all those that want to follow "normal" radio
> communications practice. By normal communications practice I mean, you
> tune to find stations to call, you stay on a fixed frequency if you are
> the initial caller (CQ) and only adjust your Rx frequency (RIT) to track
> moving QSO partners. The new settings option does not revert to "normal"
> communications practice but  to a different model altogether.

What Bill said.

The default should be to respond to a CQing station on his offset, if
only from the point of view of spectrum economy. If the default is
'half-duplex' rather than 'simplex' then the number of simultaneous QSOs
that can fit into (say) 2500 Hz will fall by up to 50%.

When several people are calling a DX station, by all means spread out,
but please don't make this the default for large numbers of
run-of-the-mill single-hop QSOs by possibly inexperienced operators.

73,
Richard G4DYA