On 03/02/2018 17:48, Brian Moran wrote:
Hi Folks, when we were on the boat on the way to Mellish Reef we operated /MM. Adding the appropriate grid square was just something we had to remember to do, and didn't require checking too often as we were only proceeding at 8 kt.

In a vehicle, grid might need to be updated more frequenty, like those that used wsjt-x in the January VHF contest as rovers.

I've been experimenting with adding support for a new NetworkMessage type ChangeLocation that accepts grid square from the UDP packet, runs it through the usual checks the same as manually typing into the configuration dialog, and sets the messages appropriately.

I also have a small program that also provides the 'other end' -- takes my u-blox usb dongle, reads the GPGLL message, and generates this message to WSJT-X if it detects the grid squares are not the same. This one is in python, and I'll just put it on github.

Should I submit a diff for the wsjt-x part against 1.8.0 or the development branch?

-Brian N9ADG

Hi Brian,

thanks for working on that enhancement. A patch against the development branch is easiest to handle. A couple of requests that will save time integrating:

As this is an unsolicited input message it is preferable that the server (your external application) is capable of joining a multicast UDP group address so that it is compatible with other such servers that might wish interoperate with WSJT-X. I assume you have to bind to the WSJT-X port and complete a heartbeat exchange to discover the protocol schema number and ephemeral port each WSJT-X instance is listening on so you can send unsolicited messages to them.

Have you restricted grid updates to just one WSJT-X instance or will any WSJT-X instance joining the network get a grid update?

As with all UDP messaging cases, relevant implementations of the message_aggregator reference application is preferred, for example in this case you might have a grid input line edit in it that updates all WSJT-X instances, thereby exercising the new message.

How are you proposing to handle a grid update mid-QSO?