Hi Mike and all,

I've often added a symbolic link in the /lib or the /usr/lib directories
from a later library to, the one needed.
In Ubuntu 18.04 LTS, we have libreadline5 and libreadline7 but not
libreadline6.
eg.
cd /lib; ln -s libreadline.so.7.1 libreadline.so.6

Then refresh the library cache if needed. ldconfig

This often fixes a running program's issues but on installation, the
Package Manager may require an entry in the package database. Unpack the
.deb file with "ar x <file>.deb" then unpack the main archive and install
the files manually.

Have fun.

Alan VK2ZIW

On Thu, 10 May 2018 18:58:28 -0400, W2NAP wrote
> deb package fails install without it.
>
> On Thu, 10 May 2018 22:47:53 +0000 (UTC)
> Black Michael via wsjt-devel <wsjt-devel@lists.sourceforge.net> wrote:
>
> > And why do we need libreadline6?
> > de Mike W9MDB
> >

> >     On Thursday, May 10, 2018, 12:47:53 PM CDT, W2NAP
> > <w2ibc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >  Not sure if anyone noticed. Libreadline6 is NOT in the 18.04 repos at
> > all. unknown if it will ever be. work around seems to be installing
> > the libreadline6 package from artful repo
> > https://packages.ubuntu.com/artful/libreadline6
> >
> > just wanted to say something in case this was overlooked.
> >
> > de w2nap

Alan

Evil flourishes when good men do nothing.
Consider the Christmas child.
Alan Beard               Unix Support Technician from 1984 to today
70 Wedmore Rd.           Sun Solaris, AIX, HP/UX, Linux, SCO, MIPS
Emu Heights N.S.W. 2750  Routers, terminal servers, printers, terminals etc..
+61 2 47353013 (h)       Support Programming, shell scripting, "C", assembler
0414 353013 (mobile)     After uni, electronics tech