Hi Grant,

Thanks for your message of May 11, sharing your thoughts after operating as YJ0AG. It's good to hear that you achieved QSO rates as high as 50/hour using standard FT8 mode.

You and others will be happy to know that a General Availability (GA) release of WSJT-X Version 1.9.0 is planned in about a week. It will permit full operation in FT8 DXpedition Mode (Fox or Hound) without callsign restrictions, but will not allow such operation in any of the conventional FT8 sub-bands.

The release announcement will state once more that DXpedition Mode should be used only in rare-entity circumstances in which sustained QSO rates well above 100/hour are expected by the Fox station.

In the future we will consider your suggestions for possible GUI enhancements for standard FT8 mode. In passing, though, I will note that in an operation like yours at YJ0AG, if the potential hourly QSO rate is 100 or higher you might be best served by using Fox mode. Even with NSlots=1, the QSO rate can be doubled. Moreover, the Fox operator already has a number of options for filtering and sorting the list of calling stations.

        -- 73, Joe, K1JT