Bill,

Thanks ... always learning something new.  Need to file this one away.

Neil

On 7/3/2018 7:50 PM, Bill Somerville wrote:
On 04/07/2018 00:39, Neil Zampella wrote:
I don't think that Hamlib or Omnirig uses UDP packets to control the rig, its more a bidirectional serial interface, sending ascii or hex.    That said, I know that DX Commander can control the IC-7700 using a USB conection.

Neil,

USB connections to rigs for CAT control are almost always by the rig using a CDC class virtual device that emulates an RS-232 serial port (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_communications_device_class). As far as the PC end is concerned it is virtually identical to a real physical serial port, the main difference being that it must be powered up to exist, unlike a physical serial port which doesn't.

As far as Hamlib is concerned, it is capable of Internet protocol serial communication for some rigs that support that by TCP/IP connections, the protocol is usually rig specific and needs a custom driver. One example of this is the FlexRadio series of rigs and associated SDR software.