Hi Mike,

On 7/27/2018 8:15 PM, Mike Lavelle K6ML wrote:
Hi, Joe and team...

I think the ver. 2 FT8/MSK supporting six digit grids is a great idea.

Now that you're willing to encode six-digit subgrids and have a bit more payload, I'd like to request support of six-digit subgrids for the NA UHF and microwave contests. ...

Thanks for your message suggesting possible FT8/MSK144 features that could be interesting for NA UHF and microwave contests.

We're quite aware of the required exchanges in these contests... but it seems to me that the capabilities of FT8 and MSK144 are not well matched to the needs for these bands. Are you aware of any significant use of FT8 or MSK144 on 222 MHz and higher? I am not. In the past I have used JT65 on 222 and 432 MHz to gather a few hard-to-work multipliers in VHF contests. In those cases (troposcatter, very weak signals) JT65 is probably a better mode than FT8. (Six-digit grids can always be exchanged, where needed, in free-text messages.)

Are you really suggesting the use of FT8 at 10+ GHz?  Have you tried it?

        -- 73, Joe, K1JT