> On December 13, 2018 at 12:53 PM Bill Somerville <g4...@classdesign.com>
> wrote:
>
>     On 13/12/2018 18:38, Paul Bramscher wrote:
>
>         > >
> >         Is it possible to infer operating system from the version
> > "signature" as reported on pskreporter?  I see that the heaviest example of
> > 2.0.0 usage is "WSJT-X v2.0.0 784f75".  Judging from the file download
> > stats on SourceForge, I would presume that to be the Windows build/release?
> >

> >         Only a few dozen of us are showing up concisely as "WSJT-X v2.0.0".
> >  Again judging from the download activity (and my own case) I would presume
> > these are folks who built from source?
> >

> >     >
>     Hi Paul,
>
>     we do not distinguish by platform in spotted data, why should we the
> application is the same on all platforms. We do have a rough feel for
> distribution across platforms from the SourceForge download stats. Although
> many download from the project web site where stats are not kept and those
> with RPM type Linux distributions may get their fresh versions from COPR and
> soon from the official repos.
>
>     the version tag is just that, it is the git SHA of the tag that defines
> the version's sources in the repository:
>
>     https://sourceforge.net/p/wsjt/wsjtx/ci/wsjtx-2.0.0/tree/
>
>     Its there in the Tree address at the top. Again it is the same for all
> platforms as they are built from the same tag.
>
>     You are correct about builds from the source tarball, the tag is not
> included, mainly because it may have been patched since we have no control on
> exactly what is built in that case.
>
>     73
>     Bill
>     G4WJS.

Hi Bill,

I'm just generally interested in Linux adoption in amateur radio for
casual/selfish reasons.  More useful operating information (to me) passed to
pskreporter is when people take the trouble to describe antennas in WSJT.  But
that free text field can't be easily normalized for any sort of broad
statistical use -- such as influencing one's next purchase or installation
decision.  Mainly I'm just very grateful that you can tell at a glance whether
a band is open.

73, KD0KZE / Paul