Many years ago, I had a home-brew RTTY TU. It had two 88 mH torroids in the
tuned circuits and a differential amplifier as a detector. Occasionally,
the received signal would fade below the noise, but the Kleinschmidt
teleprinter would keep printing the decoded text. I have tried several
current software packages for decoding RTTY signals, and all of them
require quite strong signals to decode at all, and very strong signals to
provide 100% print.

I was wondering if the decoding method used in WSJT-X for FT8 could be
ported to a RTTY decoder. I realize that FT8 has a lower symbol rate, which
provides more time to integrate, and incorporates redundancy, which
improves accuracy. But the theoretical lower limit for decoding RTTY is
something like -5 dB S/N, and the current programs are nowhere near that.

If RTTY facilities could be integrated with WSJT-X, not only would the
decoding be better, but the log scanning functions of WSJT-X and JTAlert
would be better, significantly improving contest operation.

I confess I haven't looked at the decoding techniques used by RTTY
software, but I suspect, based on performance, that it could be improved.

73,
Frank
KF6E