Nice to hear from you again Brian and thanks for the idea.  Hello from Florida!
(am a snowbird now).

I failed to mention what I have for time control.  I am using D4 on all 3
computers, and on the new laptop in question, Windows Internet time service has
been shut off.  D4 is set to update every 30 minutes and most updates are
around .015 seconds.  When I manually sync, it sometimes varies to 0.34 seconds
or so.  Given that I can start and stop HDSDR and see the immediate effect
within a windows of just a few minutes, It is not likely due to time updates.
However if I get what you are suggesting, the time reported via the system to
the software might not be consistent between application time function calls.
I am curious how often the WSJT-X app makes calls to time, what resolution is
used, and what kind of variances would be enough to invalidate all or most
decodes?  Then how would something like running HDSDR resolve that?  Curious.

Another thing I noticed.  I turned on “save all”.  Several .wav files that were
created would not decode when replayed on any of the 3 machines.  The visual
spectrum display looked the same as any other.  Several times a .wav file was
not created. I expected a .wav file would be created for every 15 seconds,
decode or not. There were good signals decoding on the old laptop at the same
periods.

This is all in FT8 mode (which I failed to mention), I have not tried other
modes, something else worth a look.

Mike K7MDL