On 10/01/2019 14:58, Frederic Beaulieu wrote:

Hi,

I am new to amateur radio but I have a good general understanding of digital communication. I am enjoying FT8 at the moment and I would like to understand it better.

I wonder if someone can explain me (or point me to related documentation) the reasons for using 4-FSK instead of any other modulations.

Thanks in advance to share your knowledge with me.

73,

Fred, VE2WFB

Hi Fred,

firstly a correction, FT8 uses 8-FSK modulation.

Have you read the references on the WSJT-X project web site: http://physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/k1jt/refs.html .

Numbers 29 and 30 have some information on the design constraints that contributed to the choices made with FT8. Note that FT8 targeted multi-hop sporadic E propagation on 6m and possibly higher VHF bands. The key constraints that were considered were a shorter T/R period than JT65 or JT9 due to the sometimes very short openings. The sensitivity was not needed to be as good as JT65 or JT9 since signals are usually relatively strong on these paths so sacrificing sensitivity for speed was one design trade-off.

FSK in general is chosen because it allows the use of constant amplitude and near continuous phase signals, as such linear RF stages are not necessary this making virtually any transmitter suitable. FSK signals are inherently narrow without having to apply complicated pre-modulation filtering. They are also relatively easy to analyse in the frequency domain within a decoder routine. Basic characteristics that have to be designed are bandwidth (increases with greater N in N-FSK) vs. higher symbol rates (increases with greater N in N-FSK). Given the typical frequency stability and propagation stability on the bands targeted, 8-FSK turns out to be a good choice for a modulation bandwidth around 50 Hz for 15s T/R periods and the alphabet, and symbol rate required for WSJT-X style QSO messages plus parity bits and checksum bits.

The popularity of FT8 on HF is largely a happy accident in that it fulfilled a latent frustration of many potential users of WSJT-X with the slow rate of QSOs using 1 minute T/R periods. Clearly that frustrated group of users did not require the greater sensitivity of JT65 or JT9 and once the level activity grew greatly the opportunities for many QSOs, even with limited equipment, caused a near exponential growth since launch.