Since it was introduced in 2017, it has been very difficult and nearly
impossible for visually impaired/blind Hams to use WSJT-X and its FT8, and
now FT4 modes. Last year, at the request of some of my visually
impaired/blind friends, I started to search for a programmer who might be
able to create the software needed so that they could easily operate these
new digital modes.

Earlier this year Sam, W2JDB, volunteered to take on the task. He had
created a logging program that already interfaced to WSJT-X called *Quick
Log* or* QLog*. He has since modified the program by providing voice
assistance so the visually impaired/blind ops can set up WSJT-X and *QLog*
thereby enabling them to make FT8 contacts by answering stations that are
calling CQ. The program is currently being used by a group of visually
impaired/blind beta testers, who have successfully made hundreds of FT8
contacts as well as enabling them to participate in the 2019 Field Day
event.

As you probably can imagine, it can be difficult for many of the visually
impaired/blind Hams to get WSJT-X up and running with their radios and
computers. Because of this, there is a need for sighted Hams, who are
familiar with WSJT-X, to help them get their hardware and software
configured and operating.

If you know of a visually impaired/blind Ham who is interested in working
FT8/FT4 and are willing to help that person get started, please contact me.
I will provide all the information on how to download the latest version of
*QLog* and all the documentation needed for the sighted ham to setup WSJT-X
and *QLog* as well as documentation on the use of *QLog* for the visually
impaired/blind ham.

*73,*

*Rich – K1HTV*