Robert Rearden
ae...@att.net
____________________

On Oct 14, 2019, at 10:05 PM, wsjt-devel-requ...@lists.sourceforge.net wrote:

Message: 1
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2019 00:35:58 +0100
From: Bill Somerville <g4...@classdesign.com>
To: wsjt-devel@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [wsjt-devel] v2.1.0 and MacOS Catalina

On 14/10/2019 21:44, Robert Rearden wrote:
> Is the current MacOS build of WSJT-X v2.1.0 64-bit that is compatible
> with MacOS Catalina (v10.15)? When I run a system report on my Mac
> with OS 10.14.6 installed, the report shows WSJT-X v2.1.0 is a 64-bit
> (Intel) app. But the discussions I have seen indicate there is a build
> tool issue related to support of MacOS versions 10.10 and 10.11 which
> makes the v2.1.0 build crash on boot with MacOS Catalina. Is the info
> I have incorrect?
>
> If the?current MacOS build of WSJT-X v2.1.0 is not MacOS Catalina
> compatible, is there a plan to release a build that is compatible with
> MacOS Catalina and is there a schedule for its release?
>
> Thank you? 73
>
> Robert Rearden

Hi Robert,

the macOS build of WSJT-X v2.1.0 has some problems with the toolchain
used to build it, it causes some crashes in some modes, usually but not
always at startup. These issues will be fixed for the next release, note
that the issues are not specific to Catalina.

There is another issue that causes a crash when loading the LoTW User
CSV file, this is a known Qt issue that effects all platforms but only
seems to manifest itself on Catalina. That may be an oversimplification
as it is a thread safety issue and they can be hard to reproduce
reliably. The issue is fixed it Qt v5.13.1, we have not yet used Qt
v5.13.1 to build WSJT-X releases because doing so will will produce an
application that will not run on macOS versions older then 10.12. As
there are Mac users that cannot easily upgrade past 10.11, due to
hardware restrictions, we are reluctant to upgrade the Qt version we use
at this point. Fortunately the issue can be avoided by not using the
LoTW Users CSV file, the only downside is that highlighting of probable
LoTW Users will not be available.

The current recommendation for macOS users is that if the latest v2.1.0
WSJT-X crashes then they should use the v2.0.1 WSJT-X which is available
from here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/wsjt/files/wsjtx-2.0.1/ .

There are no Catalina specific problems that I know of other than some
reports that the shared memory size must be enlarged as per the
ReadMe.txt instructions on the WSJT-X installer DMG after an upgrade to
Catalina. This will be apparent from the shared memory error on startup.