On Mon, Dec 2, 2019 at 4:34 AM Black Michael via wsjt-devel <
wsjt-devel@lists.sourceforge.net> wrote:

> Audio dropout like this is usually caused by the USB audio device
> disconnecting.
> And that is usually case by RFI.

I had a dropout problem where WSJT-X audio output would occasionally switch
from the desired "Speakers (5- USB Audio CODEC)" to "Headphones (High
Definition Audio Device)" when I had headphones plugged in to my Windows 10
desktop machine. This of course caused loss of transmitter modulation. Kind
of a mystery, since I had only the USB codec selected as output for WSJT-X
both in WSJT-X's settings Audio tab and in Windows sound settings; I don't
know why Windows should ever take it upon itself to re-route that.

I tried ferrites on the headphone cable to fix this. Ultimately lots of
ferrites, including 10 turns through a 3/4" I.D. mix 31. (I already have
chokes on everything else, and no RFI-like problems except for this.) It
didn't help! But unplugging the headphones does eliminate the problem, so I
now just forego watching Netflix while working FT8 :).

Anyway, if you're having problems with TX audio dropout with Windows 10,
try popping up the Volume Mixer to see which output devices are connected
to WSJT-X; maybe the operating system has switched to using something other
than the one you want.

73, Paul K6PO