Adrian,
Yes, I can now start wsjtx normal as user "uwe". So, at the
moment there is no need for me to switch to pulse audio. Must have been
something wrong with the "dialout" permission .

I will now again fucusing myself on another very annoying Linux bug: the "no
signal" error. All the newer Linux versions have problems with some AMD
CPUs/GPUs, and despite lots of efforts ther is NO FIX so far. Unfortunately my
hardware (AMD A8-5600k) is one of these AMD computers. This bug means that
immediately after the boot screen, monitor gets dark "no signal" and computer
hangs (not even possible to push the On/Off switch a long time). Only
workaround is either booting in recovery mode, or adding "radeon.modeset=0" or
"nomodeset" to the kernel boot command. But then, of course there is no
hardware accelaration. It is not possible anymore to install AMD's proprietary
video driver, as it supports only versions until Ubuntu 14.04. Really a
nighmare! Frankly, I've experienced a lot of things when usind Windows over the
years, but something like that I've never seen before: Any up to date Linux OS
is NOT able to boot on such AMD computers unless hardware acceleration is
disabled. Unbelievable!

73 de DG2YCB, Uwe