Barry said his reply was rejected so forwarding this to the list for him.
Mike W9MDB

   ----- Forwarded Message ----- From: Barry Jackson <zen25...@zen.co.uk>To:
Black Michael <mdblac...@yahoo.com>Sent: Friday, November 13, 2020, 06:25:03 PM
CSTSubject: Fwd: [wsjt-devel] FT-991A problem
 Hi Michael,
This reply was rejected from the wsjtx-devel list.
How I am supposed to remember which account I use for each ML I
subscribe to is beyond me!

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: Re: [wsjt-devel] FT-991A problem
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2020 18:07:25 +0000
From: Barry Jackson <g4...@btinternet.com>
To: Black Michael <mdblac...@yahoo.com>, WSJT software development
<wsjt-devel@lists.sourceforge.net>
CC: Barry Jackson <g4...@btinternet.com>

On 05/11/2020 22:39, Black Michael wrote:
> What happens if he turns the rig power and wsjt-x power all the way to
> zero....no watts out.
>
> Sounds a lot like RFI.
>
> Also...try setting the audio out to the computer speakers and see if the
> USB still drops out.
>
> Mike W9MDB

Hi Mike,
Dropping the power to 'zero' in the program changed nothing, however I
suspected that maybe a click or similar was still being emitted, at
start of TX.

Switching the audio to the computer card for TX in wsjtx did make a
difference. Transmit cycles continued correctly with no loss of USB
connection.

The USB lead already had multi-turn ferrite chokes in each end, but I
decided to look at the isolation provided by an opto isolator based device.

It turned out that there was about 30pF between input and output grounds
on the one I had, which series resonated with the in-line ferrite
inductors and actually made matters worse.

So, I put a parallel inductor across the isolator to form a tuned trap
at 7 MHz. It was considerably better than just the isolator on most HF
bands and it was 30dB down relative to 50 Ohms on 40m.
Simple comparisons were made using a nanovna.

This was duly dispatched and fixed the problem, confirming that the
issue is most certainly RFI as you suspected.

Thanks for your help.

Barry,
G4MKT