Good Day,

FT8/4 enhancement suggestion follows.

(I know that stable code can be broken by side effects and "better is the enemy of good enough".)

For example, with FT8, instead of having two 15 second transmission cycles per minute, it would be nice to have the option of ONE 15 second cycle per minute. Leave the other usual 15 second transmission period in receive as a way to monitor whether I am transmitting in a clear slot. This mode would be selectable with a radio button for "30" or "15". Or call it "Monitor on". Once a QSO is locked in, revert automatically to two 15 second transmissions per minute in order to finish the QSO at the normal rate before the propagation changes. I find that when the band is highly active, after a couple of my transmissions someone has moved into my slot. For DX that means my attempts to establish interest in my call sign can be smothered by another station and I have to stop, wait 30 seconds to see if my slot is clear, and restart or move first, all done manually.

--73, Glenn, AF8C