If the new machine is a Dell look for "WAV" services in the services manager
and disable them.

Mike W9MDB

On Tuesday, January 30, 2024 at 06:28:24 AM CST, Nic Sears via wsjt-devel
<wsjt-devel@lists.sourceforge.net> wrote:

Hi there, Nic G3YEG here.

I have been using wsjt for quite a few years both ft8 (hf, vhf and uhf) and
q65-60b on 432 eme and have never consciously notice the power output of any of
my previous rigs varying during ft8 or q65 tx cycles.

Recently I Started using a new laptop with much higher spec than old machine
and also changed over to rc3. I then noted that the alc on my ic9700 had
started spiking on the tx cycle.

This seems to be completely random and does not appear to effect the decoding
of my signal at all, hf, vhf ,uhf ft8 and even with my very low power q65 eme
set up having had 3 recent eme qso’s and seen the spikes occur on tx. It also
occurs on the ts2000 i use for hf.

I have investigated and it seems that the transmission does have “holes” in it
when you actually listen to it.

It is not consistent as sometimes the tx cycle is completely clean and
sometimes has a number of holes.

I have reverted back to 2.6.1 and that also exhibits the same problem but it
does seem to be to a lesser extent. However Not done that many tests on 2.6.1

I always run with nil or very low alc on both my rigs so the recent spiking has
been quite obvious. The tx power output on both the rigs doesn’t seem to dip
that but the 9700 current drain certainly drops on the rig metering.

The old machine was a Lenovo running Windows 10 with an amd a10 and 12gb memory
driving the 9700 via a single usb interface. The new machine is an intel i7
running Windows 11 with 32Gb memory again driving the 9700 via a single usb
interface. The ts2000 is driven from the new machine via a usb to rs232 dongle
for cat control and a usb to analogue dongle for the audio interface. The icom
Ic-9700 usb driver was in use on both old and new machines.

I mentioned this observation to another local eme operator who has also noted
these “holes” but also observed that it doesn’t seem to cause any remote
station decoding problems.

Be grateful if you could consider my observation and advise if there is a real
problem.

Thank you, Nic