On Tue, Sep 20, 2016 at 8:32 AM, Mickael Istria <mist...@redhat.com> wrote:

> On 09/20/2016 12:23 AM, Daniel Kasmeroglu wrote:
>
> Hi there,
>
> I intend to work on some issues that I need to get fixed. Unfortunately
> I'm a bit confused about the WTP project overall.
> (...)
> First of all I wasn't able to figure out the actual starting point within
> the web (I mean a landing page providing links for all necessary infos). I
> consider https://projects.eclipse.org/projects/webtools to be the most
> recent and valid location but it wasn't really helpful for me.
>
> What I'm hoping for:
> * Is there some sort of documentation available which exercises
> point-by-point each step to setup an environment?
>
> AFAIK, the main documentation page is https://wiki.eclipse.org/Web_
> Tools_Projec , however, I cannot find a welcoming page for new
> contributors...
> What would be great would be that you start one, and ask here whenever
> there's something blocking you.

I totally agree with Mickael. You could start contributing the
documentation on how to setup the environment.
1. You can start adding a section here:
https://wiki.eclipse.org/WTP/Build/WTP_Developer_Installation_Quick_Guide
2. If you need help, please ask in
https://mattermost.eclipse.org/eclipse/channels/webtools or Eclipse IRC:
#eclipse or #eclipse-dev

Here's the instructions, in a nutshell:
- You need an IDE and a TP (Target Platform). As IDE you can use Eclipse
for RCP Developers and as target Platform you can use Eclipse JEE.
- Here is a video explaining how to setup such an Ide for the JSDT
(JavaSscript DevTools), a subproject of WTP:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFxfuudlau8 - follow this video until
minute 5.26. Then, instead of importing JSDT projects (like in the video),
you should import the WTP projects you want to work on.
- Here you find the list of all the WebTools repos:
https://projects.eclipse.org/projects/webtools/developer (to work with
gerrit, you should clone using the Gerrit URI [link
<https://youtu.be/kFRwt0RgYR4?t=26s>])

Suggestion:
- don't import all the WTP projects

*Kind Regards,*

*Patrik SuzziSoftware **Engineer, Eclipse*
*Platform UI Committer*
*https://about.me/psuzzi <https://about.me/psuzzi>*