On 5/8/07, Bret Pettichord <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I think one question Zeljko needs to address is what form he wants it to
be. I think he said something about breaking it into separate files,
which is fine. Another option is to migrate it to the wiki, which would
make eat easier to get contributions from others...

I have been thinking a lot about updating Watir user
guide<http://wtr.rubyforge.org/watir_user_guide.html>these days, but I
did not have time to start working. I will have some time
next week (if not before). I think if user guide is migrated to Watir
Wiki<http://wiki.openqa.org/display/WTR/Project+Home>it would make
contributions much easier, so I plan to do that. If anybody
would like to start working on user guide before I migrate it to Wiki, go
ahead and grab it from Watir SVN
<http://svn.openqa.org/svn/watir>repository, make Wiki page and start
working. If you do not know how
to get it from SVN repository <http://www.openqa.org/watir/cvs.action> or how
to create Wiki
page<http://wiki.openqa.org/display/WTR/Contributing+to+this+Website>,
please let me know.

I received a lot of good advice about updating user guide. There is a clear
need for more documentation on Watir. I do not think that everything should
be in user guide. My plan is to make user guide as short as possible and
provide links to more advanced topics. Something like:

  - Install Ruby.
  - Install Watir.
  - Open IE.
  - Navigate to a page.
  - Click a link.
  - Click a button.
  - Verify some text is there.
  - That was easy!
  - Want to learn more?
  - See how you can work with:
     - Other tags.
     - Various pop-up windows.
     - JavaScript.
     - AJAX.
     - Unit tests (running them, reading them, learning from them).
     - …
  - There is also lots of good documentation on Watir that *is* at our
  site. See:
     - What is Ruby?
     - What is Watir?
     - Is there a difference?
     - Why should I care?
     - …
  - There is also lots of good documentation on Watir that *is not* at
  our site. Check it out:
     - Articles.
     - Cheat sheets.
     - Books.
     - …
  - Have question? We have mailing list! When posting a question make
  sure that you include:
     - Relevant snippet of your Watir code.
     - Relevant snippet your HTML.
     - Error message that Ruby gave you (if any).
     - See example question.

I think this short tips about posting to mailing list are very important. I
just hope people will read it.

I think we are ready for several Watir tutorials (at least two).

Take Ruby for example. It has
Pickaxe<http://www.pragmaticprogrammer.com/titles/ruby/index.html>book
that you can have on your desk and not be embarrassed when you boss
takes a look at it. There is also Why's (Poignant) Guide to
Ruby<http://poignantguide.net/ruby/>.
I remember how my boss was surprised when he saw Why's book. I am sure he
thought I was joking when I told him that it is a book about programming.
(Hint: cartoon foxes shouting "Chunky bacon!".)

Watir user guide can have "enterprise look", but I would also like to create
one version with cartoon characters. I am sure there are lots of creative
people here and I hope they will show their creativity. If you would not
like to see cartoon characters in Watir user guide, please do let me know, I
will not put it at Watir Wiki. (I will put it at my blog and smile to my
jokes. Alone.)
Zeljko
--
ZeljkoFilipin.com