On 2/17/06, Chris Schmechel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I was able to write a Perl Win32::GuiTest to do the following:
>
>  @window = FindWindowLike(0,"File Download","");
>  SetForegroundWindow($window[0]);
>  SendKeys("{SPACE}");

It seems pretty common for people to call a helper script like the one
above in order to unblock IE after a browser action that spawns a
popup.  I ran into at least one case where running a small helper Ruby
script similar to the above was the only way to dismiss a certain
pesky popup window.

One pattern to solve this is:

- start a ruby thread
inside it, click the link/button or whatever that causes IE to block

- sleep a bit in between the thread definitions (or write some code
that will wait until the popup window you're watching for appears)

- start another thread
inside it, use system() to execute your helper script, which hopefully
dismisses the popup

- join both threads and resume program flow, assuming the popup has
been dismissed and the call to IE that spawned the popup has now
returned

Thanks
Bill