I'm not sure but is the new browser window opening when the link is clicked?  Do you have the Popup Blocker enabled in IE?  This also happened to me the first time I ran the mouse_over.rb script.  I had to "allow popups" for this Fort Lewis site in Internet Explorer.

If it's not that, I'm not sure what else to suggest.

Paul.