Yikes.

I remember, Bret, that you were opposed to the whole recorder concept when I lower-case-L "launched" WatirMaker a while back. I understood why and I continue to respect your opinion.

I was opposed to AOL when I was a Compuserve user. Noobs are noobs. Mort is Mort and not everyone can be an Elvis or an Einstein. There's a few issues here, IMHO and I think that most folks would agree:

* Watir is easy, but some folks (of all skill levels) like to jump start with a recorder. These folks should have a tool. Watir shouldn't be relegated to the literati.
* WatirMaker was written in C# because I'm a Ruby Noob. It's lame and it was written for me. It's not a good recorder to start with even though Saud and others have expanded it.
* WatirWebRecorder was a nice thing for MJTNet to release and it's way better than WatirMaker. I pimped it appropriately and spread the word because Noobs were suffering and I knew that Watir was the answer. A recorder was just the "gateway drug" to getting them on the Watir wagon.
* An open source Recorder is a good idea. I respect why Marcus can't release WatirWebRecorder as OS.
* Michael Kelly (cc'ed) has the framework of a Ruby-based WatirMaker that, IMHO, is quite clever, and I'd hope he'd give it to the people and the people would build a recorder around it. Count me in.

All that said, Bret, I respect your ability, your opinions, and your freedom of speech and right to call "B.S" when you see it, but this whole thread could have been handled with more grace.

It's a shame that WatirWebRecorder was yanked, but that's Marcus' right as well. Noobs will lose out in the short term, but hopefully a Ruby-based Recorder (or several specific variants) will rise quickly to fill the vacuum.

In conclusion - Michael, can we start with your recorder and make something useful?

Scott Hanselman