I think this has been said before, but i bears repeating.

The Ruby breakpoint package is a great "debugger"

What you do is add code like this:

  require 'breakpoint'; breakpoint

And then when that line is executed, you get dropped into IRB at that context.

Install breakpoint thus: gem install ruby-breakpoint

When you use this technique to definitely don't want to be using F5 to run your scripts in Scite.

Bret